Find out more
A warm welcome to the WDAC Game section. The Club has two beautiful dedicated trout venues, three lakes in total at Winterborne Zelston and Rawlsbury.
See below for details on how to buy your game tickets and for up-to-date game-related news.
APRIL LAKES REPORT
Dear Fellow Trout Anglers,
April has brought us bright days, overnight frosts and on many occasions very cold easterlies. The dominant high over the UK has meant lower than average rainfall about 12% usually seen in April. All in all a month that has for the fisherman been one that allowed us all to get out and enjoy the early mornings and open air.
I am pleased to report that all our trout lakes are fully stocked and in excellent condition. A rainbow caught and released on Viners has been estimated at 8Ib, whilst the largest fish taken, at 9.5Ib was from WZ.
Fishing Reports from Members.
I thought it would be helpful to recount some of the fishing reports from our members during the month of April. In no particular order they are as follows:-
1. Flies both on a mini black cat on sink tip line approx a metre plus down. All takes were in the weed margins and close, with nothing out deeper at various depths and therefore roll casted the perimeters.
2. had a few hours at Zelston good weather but a slight wind from the East caused a few problems but I caught a good 51/4 pound Rainbow and as you have said in your emails they give you one hell of a fight caught him on a Mayfly Nymph
3. Myself and my son had a great days fishing at Winterbourne Zelston on Saturday
4. Tried a Blue flash Damsel – no good and to be honest I find towing dead parrots through the water pretty tedious. Got both on a 14 Coves on an indicator about 4 feet down. Long casting to the far bank from the area of the boat. From the takes the fish are not moving fast – hence the lack of success on a lure. Both fish stuffed with hoglouse. So they are cruising slowly picking stuff off the weed and bottom detritus.
5. 2 cracking fish, 1@6lb 2oz 1@3lb 7oz.One on shrimp pattern, One on black wooly bugger would you believe. Black and red buzzer (size 12)and daddy long legs scored for my mates.
6. I went over to Rawlsbury today, I have to say after 5 visits and blanks since I became a member of WDAC ,today was the best days fishing I have had. I started of at Cowleaze fishing a white and lime green cats whisker on 6lb line 15 foot leader. I caught 2 lovely full finned fish both easily over 5lb .
7. Fish contained snail, mostly, and some hoglouse.
I think the difficulty is caused by the weed. To take snail they must, by definition, be in close to it, and that means they don’t get to see suspended flies from a distance. So success only comes when they go very close to a fly. Certainly when I was certain I had cast to a fish, I had no difficulty inducing a take.
8. The weather was sun and clouds with 10 mile per hour winds. Caught these fish on a brown pheasant tail nymph. Had a good day.
I hope you enjoy reading these reports and find them helpful.
Finally, I wish to thank all the volunteers who have worked so diligently on, in and around our lakes. For example at Cowleaze the far bank has been cleared and a number of swims made accessible by removing the reed mace. This makes a huge difference to the enjoyment of your fishing day and I will be organising a works party for the 10th May at Winterborne Zelston so if anyone wants to come and help us clear the weed around the margins you are most welcome. If you are interested please let me know by email.
For Winterborne Zelston
A Two Fish Ticket
Member - £20 Guest - £25
For Rawlsbury Lakes (Closed 1st November - 28th Feb inclusive)
A Two Fish Ticket
Member - £20 Guest - £25
A Three Fish Ticket
Member - £30
(Catch and release on Viners as usual)
A Four Fish Ticket
Member - £40 Guest - £50
A Five Fish Ticket
Member - £50 Guest - £60
Trout tickets are available online to members to buy using Paypal but you require a password to access the 'Buy Tickets Page'.
If you do not have a password please email the Game Secretary gamesecretary@
When using a PayPal receipt please record your catch return and PayPal purchase on the special tickets provided at the venues and post this in the returns box; as well as recording on the catch return sheets.
Trout tickets can also be obtained for members and their guests at:
Conyers, West Street, Blandford
Castaways, 78 Ashley Road, Poole, BH14 9BN
Wessex Angling, 321 Wimborne Road, Poole, BH15 3DH